Starting with a New Fab Shop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Richard Rogalewski
    #13404 |

Hi. Further: As a new business start-up, I would imagine (gut feeling) responses from companies to direct enquires are likely to be thin on the ground. Unless there are ways that increase the response rate, such as only contacting small firms (1-10 employees), or niche firms, etc. Of course, you can take the blunderbuss approach and send out dozens of enquiries, hoping for some responses. It’s a technique of sorts.

I’m not sure whether a tray made of 1mm thick aluminium, with a lip on the edge of say 1mm or 2mm, in the shape say of a reclining cat or dog, say 100mm long, belongs to a certain category of presswork or not. Possibly jewellery, arts/crafts – not sure.

The other approach is publishing ones enquiry to the world, through Qimtek, Alibaba, or one of the other websites that seek to put businesses in touch with suppliers. Maybe this is the best – not sure.

Maybe both avenues should be pursued.

Anyway, thanks for looking into this topic. Rich

Richard Rogalewski
    #13400 |

Hi Brian.

I’m a “one man band” at the moment. I seek to be a manufacturer. I’m rather a novice at business, and that includes supply chain. A particular part of my product idea requires press-work – essentially 1 mm sheet needs making into a shallow tray (but the edges will not be straight).

Of course, I can see what options I have – such as contact firms directly, use something like QIMTEK, ALIBABA, etc etc.

Can a topic be written, or is there any mileage in a topic that helps a business intelligently go about finding a supplier of press-work /sheet metal work services? If there is, can something be written? There might be some tips I suppose. Thanks.

Brian McCarthy
    Keymaster
    #13403 |

Richard, this is a great idea for a post, I will do some research on the topic and let you know when I have something up. Thanks!

Brian McCarthy
    Keymaster
    #13407 |

Rich, thank you for posting I’ve gotten a couple of opinions from people in the industry and will write up a full article shortly.

Richard Rogalewski
    #13408 |

It appears there does not seem to be a problem with getting responses when you place a RFQ with say Alibaba. But getting a response to a direct enquiry sent to a company in ones own country is problematical. (True I think in countries like US, UK etc).

When I first think about sourcing some presswork, I personally always first think about trying to source from my own country. Whether that is sensible is a matter of debate. 🙂 Because the company is in my back-yard so to speak. But, when you do that you may not get many, if any responses.

In my case, I would imagine, in the end, it’s going to have to be Alibaba (and practically-speaking a Chinese or other Asian supplier). There will be scenarios though where a person would get a response to a direct enquiry from a UK company.

I suppose it would be possible to highlight the scenarios when you will not likely get a response to a direct enquiry from a company located within US/UK. My scenario is probably one of the scenarios where this is true. Response rate is all a matter of what the enquiry is, which is part of the scenario. My scenario is not great, because I’m a sole proprietor and I’m at a starting-up stage. Perhaps the nature of the presswork I’m seeking is also against me.

So, when will an enquiry not likely get a response to a direct enquiry from a UK or US company. That is one way of dealing with this issue.

dwayne garner
    #13726 |

Do every possible strategy you know for business management. Startup businesses are in fact tricky in the first days of operation, its likely hardly to generate good sales nor even market your business. In this case you must extend your business visibility using various mediums like for promotion and advertising. Review your business names technique, as much as possible you need to add some slogan or taglines that can attract more possible clients and consumer. By the way, I you can ask some expert related to adding business slogan that is profitable, see Alexandra Watkins of http://eatmywords.com/ she is a branding expert on all kinds of business naming.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.